Youth Mentoring Program Specialist - Paid
|Title:||Youth Mentoring Program Specialist - Paid|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Mentoring SpecialistSchedule: Full time, 40 hours per week - benefits eligible. Schedule is determined by the needs of program and is variable throughout the year. Work hours typically occur Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM. Some evening and weekend work will occur.
Pay: $18/hr (Annualized: $37,440)
We are in search of a knowledgeable and professional Mentoring Specialist to join our team!
Volunteers of America, Utah builds a community-supported bridge that provides a path for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance. Our Amplified Mentoring Program (AMP) fosters connection for youth through mentoring. AMP supports positive youth development through group mentoring workshops and one-to-one mentoring relationships between youth and volunteer mentors.
What You’ll Do:
- Facilitate discussion and skill-based groups with youth in schools and at community sites
- Develop engaging activities using evidence-based curriculums
- Create and maintain community partnerships that support program delivery
- Identify and recruit youth for mentoring relationships
- Create and facilitate matches between youth and volunteer mentors
- Monitor and support one-to-one mentoring relationships
- Create connections for youth and families to community resources
- Develop strong community partnerships and maintain regular contact with those referring youth to the mentoring program.
- Assist the Youth Mentoring Coordinator with recruitment of sites for group mentoring activities and youth seeking one-on-one mentoring relationships.
- Plan, promote and facilitate group mentoring workshops using the Curriculum-Based Support Group (CBSG) Program.
- Conduct initial interviews and home visits with youth and families seeking mentoring relationships and review contract requirements with those selected for the program.
- Work closely with the Youth Mentoring Coordinator to assess fit between youth and mentors when matching.
- Facilitate match meetings between youth and mentors.
- Maintain contact with mentors, youth, and parents/guardians to assist in the development of trusting relationships, answer questions as needed, and develop problem-solving skills.
- Provide crisis support for youth and mentors when concerns arise in the mentoring relationship or when youth are experiencing setbacks to their success.
- Coordinate, support, and record strength-based individualized goal achievement with youth and support problem solving by providing resources and referrals.
The Ideal Team Member:
- Outgoing, positive, and reliable
- Creates authentic rapport with youth, parents and other professionals
- Flexible – Adapts and changes to effectively serve our community
- Independently meets service goals and finds creative solutions to problems
- Effectively manages time and has a strong sense of commitment and accountability
- Values collaboration, is open to feedback, and is willing to get uncomfortable learning new skills
- Proactively identifies projects for program development
- Holds healthy boundaries with youth and other professionals
- Skilled communicator, both verbally and in writing
- A Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, education, or a related field
- Two or more years of experience working with resilient youth facing challenges
- Experience building community partnerships and maintaining supportive resources
- Flexible schedule and availability to work evening hours as needed
- A valid driver’s license, insurance, and clean driving record
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
What We Offer:
- Full-time, professional position that provides you with the opportunity to be creative and build a diverse set of skills
- Full-time benefits include:
- Low cost medical coverage (SelectHealth), with a Health Savings Account ($300 quarterly employer contribution)
- Low cost dental and vision coverage
- $50,000 life insurance coverage
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
- Retirement plan with employer match
Complete the application on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.