|Title:||Youth Advocate (Female) - Part-time - Paid|
|Department:||Young Women's Transition Home|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
This part-time position is at our Young Women’s Transition Home, a program that provides safe shelter for 7 young women, 16-19 years of age. Throughout this 18 month program, staff provide case management, goal setting, groups, and classes that teach critical life skills. Clients receive guidance and structure to help transition from instability and homelessness to reunification with family or independent living. Life skill building, career counseling, educational support and other services are provided in a supportive transition from homelessness to self-sufficiency. Staff also aid clients in their search for stable housing solutions by offering access to services and opportunities to gain the skills, education and employment necessary to become self-sufficient and independent upon exiting the program. We continue to provide services after moving out through our aftercare program to continue to support clients on their journey of success and independent living.
Applicants must be female and interested in working with female teens. You will be the only staff working during the shift and will fill in for co-workers who take planned and unplanned time off.
- Use your skills to develop rapport with young women to create a safe, nurturing environment that will offer stabilization, encourage self sufficiency and independence,and provide support to move toward a healthier life style.
- Oversee activities of residents to ensure their: safety; well-being; participation in the program; and compliance with guidelines.
- Engage with clients in an age and gender appropriate fashion.
- Learn, utilize and endorse agency selected clinical techniques, including Motivational Interviewing, Youth Development Approach and Trauma Informed practices.
- Provide education, including, but not limited to community resources; hygiene; harm reduction; self sufficiency and independent living skills; substance abuse and addiction recovery.
- Manage difficult client behaviors by encouraging adherence to expectations.
- Assess medical emergencies, provide CPR and First Aid, and coordinate medical services as needed.
- Ensure safe environment for staff and clients.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must possess a high school diploma or GED. Must have one (1) year of experience in social services, or any combination of education, experience, and training, which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities, including but not limited to:
- Previous experience with teens, strongly preferred.
- Enjoy working with teens.
- Ability to enforce rules.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Microsoft office skills.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Valid drivers license and good driving record
- Ability to pass a background screening and drug test.
$13.50 per hour - $14.00 per hour after 3 months and completing required training.
$2.00 per hour shift differential for graves
Apply on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
EOE / Veteran / Disabled