|Title:||Outreach Worker (Library Engagement Team) - Paid|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Outreach Worker - Library Engagement Team
Schedule: Full Time - 40 hrs/week
Pay Rate: $14.50/hour
Volunteers of America, Utah builds a community-supported bridge that provides a path for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance. Our Homeless Outreach Team provides basic needs services and connects individuals experiencing homelessness in Salt Lake County to housing, legal, and medical services.
As an Outreach Worker you will get to make contact with and connect Salt Lake City’s unsheltered individuals and families with supportive services with the goal of decreasing Salt Lake’s unsheltered population and linking individuals with safe and stable housing. You will have the opportunity to assist with community education, library staff training and education, and problem-solving homelessness issues in and around Salt Lake City's library branches.
Our Outreach Workers:
- Circulate through areas inside and outside the libraries and initiate contact with individuals to learn about their needs. Spend your day moving around!
- Provide basic needs and services to individuals, and link clients with VOA Homeless Outreach Program staff for assistance as appropriate.
- Educate clients about community resources and harm reduction practices.
- Engage with clients and library staff appropriately, and use de-escalation skills to manage client conflicts and crises.
- Assist with community education, response, and problem-solving around homelessness issues.
- Assess medical emergencies, contact emergency medical providers, utilize Naloxone kits when appropriate, and complete incident reports by end of shift.
- Ensure that all paperwork related to client and program activities is properly completed, managed confidentially and stored in an appropriate location and submitted in a timely manner.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be comfortable approaching clients and building rapport with them.
- Experience working with a vulnerable population preferred.
- Ability to interact with clients by demonstrating genuine empathy, concern and understanding.
- Communicate professionally with library staff and visitors.
- Learn and use de-escalation skills.
- Computer skills using Microsoft office.
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no more than 3 tickets the last 3 years or a DUI in the last 5 years).
- At least 21 years of age (auto insurance requirement)
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Full-time benefits include:
Low cost medical coverage (SelectHealth), with a Health Savings Account ($300 quarterly employer contribution)
Low cost dental and vision coverage
$50,000 life insurance coverage
Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
Retirement plan with employer match
$14.50 per hour
Submit your resume on the career page of our web site: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.