|Title:||Youth Advocate - Sun-Wed - Paid|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
This is a continuous job posting.
Volunteers of America, Utah provides a bridge to self-reliance and health for vulnerable individuals and populations who struggle with homelessness, addiction and mental illness in our Wasatch Front communities. Our Youth Resource Center is a refuge for youth ages 15-22 who have experienced extreme disconnect from positive adult role models and benefit greatly from the consistent support of healthy adults.
Youth Advocates interact with youth to create a safe, nurturing environment that offers stability, encourages self-sufficiency, and promotes independence. Successful Youth Advocates are non-judgmental, hold great boundaries with clients, manage multiple tasks well in what can be a fast-paced environment, ask for help when they need it, and understand how motivations and frustrations can affect people. Opportunities for advancement are available.
- Interact with youth and provide them with information on community resources.
- Distribute basic need items and maintain an accurate record of services delivered.
- Resolve conflicts and crisis manage as necessary.
- Enforce the center guidelines for conduct.
- Complete rounds consistently to ensure clients are in appropriate areas
- Complete required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Cleaning and some meal preparation.
- Move tables, chairs, and sleeping cots.
- Paid or volunteer experience coaching, mentoring or interacting with young adults.
- A degree in psychology, sociology, social work, or a related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interact with homeless clients, regardless of age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.
- Basic knowledge of professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- High level of interpersonal communication skills.
- Exhibit perseverance and care when clients exhibit behaviors that contribute to continued homelessness.
- Ability to assist with moving cots, dividers, chairs, and tables within the shelter.
- Driver's license with clean driving record required (No more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years and no DUI in the last 5 years).
- Must be 21 years of age or older due to auto insurance requirements.
- Must be able to pass a drug test and a criminal background check.
$13.50 per hour, $14.00 per hour upon completion of training at 3 months
40 hours per week, 10 hour shifts
Sunday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Full-time benefits include:
Low cost medical coverage (SelectHealth), with a Health Savings Account ($300 quarterly employer contribution)
Low cost dental and vision coverage
$50,000 life insurance coverage
Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
Retirement plan with employer match
Submit resume on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
EOE / Veterans / Disabled