|Title:||Employment Specialist - Paid|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Employment SpecialistSchedule: Full Time, benefits eligible!
Full-time benefits include: low-cost medical, dental, and vision insurance; Health Savings Account ($300 per quarter employer match); $50,000 life insurance; paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave; 403b retirement plan with employer match; employee referral program with paid time off and cash bonuses.
Join a small team dedicated to assisting clients with mental illnesses in obtaining and maintaining competitive employment that is consistent with their vocational goals. Implement the Supported Employment Model. This position is based at Cornerstone Counseling Center.
Volunteers of America, Utah provides a bridge to self-reliance and health for vulnerable individuals and populations who struggle with homelessness, addiction and mental illness in our Wasatch Front communities.
- Carry out all phases of employment service including assessments, setting employment goals with clients and their therapist, vocational counseling, job placements, job coaching, and continuous follow up support for clients.
- Establish face-to-face strategic relationships with local employers, and educate them on the supported employment program.
- Document employment services and demonstrate integration with mental health services; including attending staff meetings with mental health professionals and medical professionals.
- Identify barriers that hinder employability; assist clients in resolving and mitigating barriers to employment by identifying the need for other services or benefits; counsel clients regarding recommended solutions and suggested supportive services.
- Contact public and private employers in order to develop on the job training and/or direct job placement sites for clients.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. We are seeking someone who has a combination of education, experience, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- High school diploma or GED; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working with adults with severe mental illness, individuals struggling with substance abuse, criminal records, disabilities and other barriers to employment.
- Experience with case management, employment services and/or job placement, job training.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and counseling skills.
- Ability to engage outside of the office to create and maintain relationships with community employers.
- Ability to motivate clients and advocate for them with team members and employers.
- Outgoing, optimistic, and energetic personality as well as high empathy and compassion.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Computer skills including Microsoft office.
- Access to reliable transportation and the ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.