|Title:||Outreach Worker (Library Engagement Team) - Paid|
|Department:||Homeless Outreach Program|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Outreach Worker - Library Engagement Team
Schedule: Full Time - 40 hrs/week. Days. Occasional weekends and evenings.
Pay Rate: $17 / hour
Benefits - Approximate full-time benefits package value = $20,000+:
- Low-cost medical, dental, and vision coverage. Health savings account. 403b retirement plan with employer match (50% match up to 3%).
- Employee Assistance Program for all employees
- 33 paid days off: 11 observed paid holidays, 12 sick days, and 10 vacation days to start. Vacation increases to 12 days after 1 year, 15 days after 2 years, and more at 5 and 9 years of service.
- Sick and vacation time accrue hourly per pay period.
- $50,000 in employer-paid life insurance; additional coverage available.
- $1,200 annual employer contribution to your Health Savings Account (paid quarterly)
- Employee Referral Program including cash bonuses and paid time off
Volunteers of America, Utah builds a community-supported bridge that provides a path for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance. Our Homeless Outreach Team provides basic needs services and connects individuals experiencing homelessness in Salt Lake County to housing, legal, and medical services.
As an Outreach Worker you will get to make contact with and connect Salt Lake City’s unsheltered individuals and families with supportive services with the goal of decreasing Salt Lake’s unsheltered population and linking individuals with safe and stable housing. You will have the opportunity to assist with community education, library staff training and education, and problem-solving homelessness issues in and around Salt Lake City's library branches.
Our Outreach Workers:
- Circulate through areas inside and outside the libraries and initiate contact with individuals to learn about their needs. Spend your day moving around!
- Provide basic needs and services to individuals, and link clients with VOA Homeless Outreach Program staff for assistance as appropriate.
- Educate clients about community resources and harm reduction practices.
- Engage with clients and library staff appropriately, and use de-escalation skills to manage client conflicts and crises.
- Assist with community education, response, and problem-solving around homelessness issues.
- Assess medical emergencies, contact emergency medical providers, utilize Naloxone kits when appropriate, and complete incident reports by end of shift.
- Ensure that all paperwork related to client and program activities is properly completed, managed confidentially and stored in an appropriate location and submitted in a timely manner.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be comfortable approaching clients and building rapport with them.
- Bilingual Spanish and English preferred.
- Experience working with a vulnerable population preferred.
- Ability to interact with clients by demonstrating genuine empathy, concern and understanding.
- Communicate professionally with library staff and visitors.
- Learn and use de-escalation skills.
- Computer skills using Microsoft office.
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no more than 3 tickets the last 3 years or a DUI in the last 5 years).
- At least 21 years of age (auto insurance requirement).
- Pass Utah DHS - Office of Licensing background screening for those working with vulnerable populations.
Submit your resume on the career page of our web site: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.