|Title:||Social Services Outreach Worker - Paid|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Volunteers of America, Utah provides a bridge to self-reliance and health for vulnerable individuals and populations who struggle with homelessness, addiction, and mental illness. Join our Homeless Outreach Team to find and work with homeless individuals who are located in any area of the Salt Lake Valley. Involves working outdoors: driving, walking and hiking to reach homeless camps.
Provide a variety of client services including:
- In pairs, canvass areas, initiate contact with persons experiencing homelessness to learn their needs and provide basic need items.
- Connect clients to long-term supportive services, including: medical, housing, benefits, and mental health services.
- Educate clients about community resources and harm reduction practices.
- Link clients with services for assistance as appropriate.
- Assess medical emergencies, provide emergency CPR and First Aid, and coordinate medical services.
- Accurately gather information and maintain necessary client files.
- Engage with clients and other members of the community appropriately.
- Use de-escalation skills to manage client crises.
- Must be comfortable approaching clients and building rapport with them while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Energetic individual willing to work in all weather conditions on foot or using agency vehicles.
- Ability to demonstrate compassion and perseverance in the face of obstacles such as clients exhibiting behaviors that contribute to continued homelessness.
- A degree in the social service field (social work, psychology, criminal justice) and/or significant experience with individuals experiencing homelessness, addiction, or mental illness.
- Experience working in wilderness therapy helpful.
- Basic computer skills.
- Valid drivers license and good driving record.
- Be at least 21 years of age (auto insurance requirement)
- Pass pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.
$14.00 per hour, $14.50 per hour after completing training and 90 days of employment. M - F, days
Full-time benefits include:
Low cost medical coverage (SelectHealth), with a Health Savings Account ($300 quarterly employer contribution)
Low cost dental and vision coverage
$50,000 life insurance coverage
Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
Retirement plan with employer match
Submit resume on the career page of our web site: www.voaut.org/careers
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disabled / Veterans