|Title:||Youth Advocate - Paid|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Rate of Pay: $13.50 per hour, $14.00 per hour upon completion of training plus $2 per hour pay differential for grave hours.
Various schedules available - full-time staff are benefits-eligible!
Volunteers of America, Utah builds a community-supported bridge that provides a path for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance. Our Youth Resource Center is a refuge for youth ages 15-22 who have experienced extreme disconnect from positive adult role models and benefit greatly from the consistent support of healthy adults. Clients at the Youth Resource Center have access to case management, critical resources, every-day necessities, and support.
Youth Advocates interact with youth to create a safe, nurturing environment that offers stability, encourages self-sufficiency, and promotes independence. Successful Youth Advocates are non-judgmental, hold great boundaries with clients, manage multiple tasks well in what can be a fast-paced environment, ask for help when they need it, and understand how motivations and frustrations can affect people. Working at the Youth Resource Center provides great exposure to and opportunities for advancement in the field of social work, as well as the chance to learn from highly talented managers and supervisors.
- Interact with youth and provide them with information on community resources.
- Distribute basic need items and maintain an accurate record of services delivered.
- Resolve conflicts and crisis manage as necessary.
- Enforce the center guidelines for conduct.
- Complete rounds consistently to ensure clients are in appropriate areas
- Complete required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Cleaning and some meal preparation.
- Move tables, chairs, and sleeping cots.
- Paid or volunteer experience coaching, mentoring or interacting with young adults.
- A degree in psychology, sociology, social work, or a related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interact with homeless clients, regardless of age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.
- Basic knowledge of professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- High level of interpersonal communication skills.
- Exhibit perseverance and care when clients exhibit behaviors that contribute to continued homelessness.
- Ability to assist with moving cots, dividers, chairs, and tables within the shelter.
- Driver's license with clean driving record required (No more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years and no DUI in the last 5 years).
- Must be 21 years of age or older due to auto insurance requirements.
- Must be able to pass a drug test and a criminal background check.
Submit resume on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.