Kitchen Coordinator - Homeless Youth Center - Paid
Youth Resource Center
Salt Lake City, Utah
Kitchen Coordinator - Homeless Youth Resource CenterSchedule: Full Time, benefits-eligible! Monday-Friday, 7:30am - 3:30pm.
Pay rate: $18 per hour
Benefits - Approximate full-time benefits package value = $21,000+:
- Low-cost medical, dental, and vision coverage. Health savings account. 403b retirement plan with employer match (50% match up to 3%).
- Employee Assistance Program for all employees
- 33 paid days off: 11 observed paid holidays, 12 sick days, and 10 vacation days to start. Vacation increases to 12 days after 1 year, 15 days after 2 years, and more at 5 and 9 years of service.
- Sick and vacation time accrue hourly per pay period.
- $50,000 in employer-paid life insurance; additional coverage available.
- $1,200 annual employer contribution to your Health Savings Account (paid quarterly).
- Employee Referral Program including cash bonuses and paid time off.
Volunteers of America, Utah provides community-supported paths for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance.
The Youth Resource Center is a drop-in resource center and emergency shelter for all youth aged 15—22 imminently at-risk of or experiencing homelessness. We provide essential basic need items, such as three hot meals a day, pantry food, showers, laundry, life-skills groups, housing and employment case management, dental and medical care assistance, as well as access to mental health services on-site. From 7:30 pm to 8:30 am the YRC transitions into a 30-bed emergency shelter.
Our Food Service Coordinator is responsible for coordinating kitchen operations at the Youth Resource Center, ensuring timely meal service, maintaining food safety standards, and overseeing facility safety and cleanliness.
- Ensure consistent meal service schedules.
- Set up, maintain, and break down open meal service slots Monday-Friday 7:30am-3:30pm.
- Assists in developing menu plans for open meal slot in collaboration with Community Engagement Team.
- Co-train all kitchen volunteers and staff in duties related to the kitchen and to meet all cleanliness standards when performing food related tasks, teach safe food handling practices; ex: appropriate clothing and footwear, hairnets, gloves or aprons.
- Organize and maintain kitchen, food storage, and equipment to meet Health Department standards.
- Coordinate kitchen maintenance through proper channels as needed.
- Supervise food storage and handling to comply with safety regulations.
- Manage food orders, deliveries, and donations to ensure kitchen supplies.
- Attend work as scheduled and arrive at the designated time.
- Work must be performed on-site.
- Foster positive relationships with center volunteers, clients, and other agency staff.
- Supervise client volunteers in the food service area.
- Support and maintain a list of client dietary restrictions.
- Uphold a professional image.
- Perform other functions as necessary or assigned.
Three (3) years of experience in large-group food service, or equivalent education and training. High school diploma or equivalent required and 2 years of related experience or any combination of education, experience, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Current holder of Food Handlers permit or Serve Safe preferred - must obtain within 30 days of hire.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Strong interpersonal skills for diverse interactions.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with clients, co-workers, and other team members. Bi-lingual candidates (English and Spanish) preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Remain composed and respond effectively in crises.
- Prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to changes.
- Ability to uphold professional boundaries, confidentiality regulations, agency policies and procedures, and interact in a professional manner with a diverse workforce, clients, and the public.
- Willingness to accept supervision and direction.
- If driving is a part of the job, must be at least 21 years of age, possess a current driver’s license, have a good driving record, and be insurable on the agency liability policy.
- Must be able to pass Utah-DHS – Office of Licensing background screening and pre-employment drug screen.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Ability to move around the facility and be on your feet for an extended amount of time.
- Work is generally performed in the kitchen, with some computer and desk time.
Submit resume on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: