|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Prevention SpecialistSchedule: Full time; Schedule is determined by the needs of community partners and is variable throughout the year. Work hours typically occur Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM. At least one evening per week is required.
We are in search of a knowledgeable and professional Prevention Specialist to join our small team!
Volunteers of America, Utah provides a bridge to self-reliance and health for vulnerable individuals and populations who struggle with homelessness, addiction and mental illness in our Wasatch Front communities. Prevention Services provides evidence-based prevention programs to youth and families in Salt Lake County. These social-emotional learning programs give youth the skills and supports they need as they face the changes and challenges of adolescence. Our programs are implemented in partnership with local schools, after school programs, and other youth-serving community organizations.
What You’ll Do:
- Facilitate discussion and skill-based groups and classes with youth and families, in-person and virtually
- Develop engaging activities using evidence-based curriculums
- Create and maintain community partnerships that support program delivery
- Improve program services through self-directed projects
- Create connections for youth and families to community resources
- Facilitate small, process-oriented skills groups with targeted at-risk youth and their families; conduct skills-based classroom curriculums for students and teachers; and conduct family support and parenting classes with selected families.
- Develop and maintain professional and community relationships that support program delivery and coordinate with community partners to organize and implement prevention programs to fidelity.
- Schedule assigned billable hours in a timely manner and adhere to weekly, monthly, and annual direct service goals.
- Prepare program lessons, pack and transport materials for groups, classes, meetings, and other informational/educational presentations.
- Distribute, administer, and collect program forms and evaluation instruments.
- Complete and submit all appropriate program and agency forms and documentation in a timely manner.
- Assist with ordering, organizing, and maintaining program supplies.
The Ideal Team Member:
- Outgoing, positive, and reliable
- Creates authentic rapport with youth, parents and other professionals
- Flexible – Adapts and changes to effectively serve our community
- Independently meets service goals and finds creative solutions to problems
- Effectively manages time and has a strong sense of commitment and accountability
- Values collaboration, is open to feedback, and is willing to get uncomfortable learning new skills
- Proactively identifies projects for program development
- Holds healthy boundaries with youth and other professionals
- Skilled communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Experience providing direct services to diverse populations in a community-based setting
- Demonstrates cultural humility and a trauma-informed perspective
- Bachelor's degree in social work, health, psychology, education, or a related field of study. Equivalent work experience in a full-time health, education, or case management-related position will be considered.
- Proficient computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft applications and Zoom platform
- Valid driver’s license and reliable personal vehicle
- Spanish-speaking preferred
What We Offer:
- Full-time, professional position that provides you with the opportunity to be creative and build a diverse set of skills
- Full-time benefits include:
- Low cost medical coverage (SelectHealth), with a Health Savings Account ($300 quarterly employer contribution)
- Low cost dental and vision coverage
- $50,000 life insurance coverage
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
- Retirement plan with employer match
Complete the application on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.