Homeless Youth Advocate - Part Time - Paid
Youth Resource Center
Salt Lake City, Utah
This posting is for Part Time positions. Various schedules are available - full-time staff are benefits-eligible!
Available Shifts: Saturday-Sunday, 12am-8am | Saturday-Sunday, 8am-5pm | Saturday-Sunday, 4pm-12am
Rate of Pay: $19/hr for grave shift hours, $17/hr for day and swing shift.
Rate Explanation: $17/hr base, plus $2/hr differential for grave hours worked.
Volunteers of America, Utah builds a community-supported bridge that provides a path for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance. Our Youth Resource Center is a refuge for youth ages 15-22 who have experienced extreme disconnect from positive adult role models and benefit greatly from the consistent support of healthy adults. Clients at the Youth Resource Center have access to case management, critical resources, every-day necessities, and support.
Youth Advocates interact with youth to create a safe, nurturing environment that offers stability, encourages self-sufficiency, and promotes independence. Successful Youth Advocates are non-judgmental, hold great boundaries with clients, manage multiple tasks well in what can be a fast-paced environment, ask for help when they need it, and understand how motivations and frustrations can affect people. Working at the Youth Resource Center provides great exposure to and opportunities for advancement in the field of social work, as well as the chance to learn from highly talented managers and supervisors.
- Interact with youth and provide them with information on community resources.
- Distribute basic need items and maintain an accurate record of services delivered.
- Resolve conflicts and crisis manage as necessary.
- Enforce the center guidelines for conduct.
- Complete rounds consistently to ensure clients are in appropriate areas
- Complete required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Cleaning and some meal preparation.
- Move tables, chairs, and sleeping cots.
- Paid or volunteer experience coaching, mentoring or interacting with young adults.
- Preferred: a degree in psychology, sociology, social work, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interact with homeless clients, regardless of age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.
- Basic knowledge of professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- High level of interpersonal communication skills.
- Exhibit perseverance and care when clients exhibit behaviors that contribute to continued homelessness.
- Ability to assist with moving cots, dividers, chairs, and tables within the shelter.
- For shifts that require driving and client transport: must be at least 21 years of age, possess a current driver's license, and be insurable on agency liability policy.
- Must pass Utah DHS - Office of Licensing background check.
Employee Assistance Program
Retirement plan with employer match
Employee referral program with paid time off and cash bonuses
Submit resume on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: