|Title:||Director of Development|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Director of Development
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30-5pm, with occasional nights, evenings, and weekends required for events.
Pay Range: DOE
Benefits - Approximate full-time benefits package value = $22,500+:
- Low-cost medical, dental, and vision coverage. Health savings account. 403b retirement plan with employer match (50% match up to 3%).
- Employee Assistance Program for all employees
- 33 paid days off: 11 observed paid holidays, 12 sick days, and 10 vacation days to start. Vacation increases to 12 days after 1 year, 15 days after 2 years, and more at 5 and 9 years of service.
- Sick and vacation time accrue hourly per pay period.
- $50,000 in employer-paid life insurance; additional coverage available.
- $1,200 annual employer contribution to your Health Savings Account (paid quarterly)
- Employee Referral Program including cash bonuses and paid time off
Volunteers of America, Utah builds a community-supported bridge that provides a path for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance.
Our Director of Development works closely with the Chief Development Officer to create and implement a strategic approach to fundraising, which includes major gifts, corporate donations and sponsorships, grant solicitation, special events, and in-kind resources. We rely on our Director of Development to identify and cultivate prospective donors and use appropriate fundraising strategies to bring donors to successful solicitation. You will oversee donor stewardship to ensure that we exceed donor expectations to increase overall retention and level of giving for individual donors. Consequently, our Director of Development needs polished presentation and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation; important to compellingly articulate the mission, vision, and exceptional attributes of organization to a wide variety of donors and volunteers. A successful Director of Development is collaborative, team oriented, and values diversity of thoughts, backgrounds and perspectives. Additionally, this position supervises the Donor Relations Coordinator and oversees our Community Sponsored Event program.
- Collaborate with the CDO to develop and manage an annual calendar for stewardship, cultivation, solicitation, and renewal of individual donors with a goal of increasing and/or retaining major gifts, individual gifts and improving retention as outlined in the Agency’s Strategic Plan.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate donor prospects and move donors to successful solicitation (including cold-calls where appropriate) and closure.
- Act as a lead solicitor for specific individual gift and/or corporate sponsorships as assigned by the CDO and arrange major donor visits and calls for CEO, CDO, and board members.
- Conduct ongoing prospect research to identify changes in individual donor giving habits and identify new overall donor pools, utilizing current donor database to secure recommendations.
- Work with the CDO and Marketing & Communications Director and Donor Relations Coordinator to write and produce donor communications, email messages, fundraising appeals, social media, online and direct mail campaigns; includes email list management, monitoring responses and analyzing data.
- Develop and execute comprehensive Annual Fund Campaign including multi-level donor cultivation and solicitation strategies executed through social media, on-line, by mail, and in person.
- Manage all aspects of stewardship activities to increase donor engagement including, but not limited to, donor appreciation events and communications, thank-a-thons, and donor surveys.
- Assist the CDO and Development Team with major fundraising events; write event sponsor proposals and take on additional event planning roles as assigned by the CDO.
- Advise and oversee the Community Sponsored Event Program to ensure VOA is represented well and fundraising opportunities are maximized.
- Supervises the Donor Relations Coordinator and assist with maintenance of Raisers Edge, Gesture, web and social media platforms and any other software programs that may be used in executing fundraising or social media strategies.
- Commitment to the mission of Volunteers of America, Utah.
- Bachelor’s degree; business, nonprofit management, marketing & communications, or related field.
- Proven track record of successful individual/major gifts, annual giving, special event fund raising and/or sales experience preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Ability to make cold-calls for donor/event/sales solicitations.
- CFRE a plus; trained in Benevon or Raising More Money Model preferred.
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks concurrently and effectively prioritize to meet deadlines and achieve results in a team environment.
- Comfortable interacting in a professional manner with diverse team members at all levels of the organization including Senior Leadership, Board Members, staff, donors, volunteers, community organizations and vendors.
- Collaborative and team oriented; values diversity of thoughts, backgrounds and perspectives.
- Demonstrated high-level proficiency with web-based tools and Microsoft Office applications; experience in donor database management; Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Exceptional organizational, written, and verbal communication skills are necessary for this position.
- Polished presentation and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation with an emphasis on meeting or exceeding donor expectations.
- Ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities in a focused and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, proactively anticipate and effectively solve problems.
- Thrives in a busy, multi-tasking and time pressured environment; ability to remain composed under stress.
- Ability to work occasional nights, holidays, and weekends during major campaigns, events or as department needs require as scheduled.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs and engage in set up/take down of event equipment.
Submit resume and cover letter on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.