|Title:||Youth Advocate - Paid|
|Department:||Youth Resource Center|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Various schedules available - full-time staff are benefits-eligible!
Rate of Pay: $17/hr, $19/hr for grave shift hours
Rate Explanation: $17/hr base, plus $2/hr differential for grave hours worked.
Benefits - Approximate full-time benefits package value = $19,000+:
- Low-cost medical, dental, and vision coverage. Health savings account. 403b retirement plan with employer match (50% match up to 3%).
- Employee Assistance Program for all employees
- 33 paid days off: 11 observed paid holidays, 12 sick days, and 10 vacation days to start. Vacation increases to 12 days after 1 year, 15 days after 2 years, and more at 5 and 9 years of service.
- Sick and vacation time accrue hourly per pay period.
- $50,000 in employer-paid life insurance; additional coverage available.
- $1,200 annual employer contribution to your Health Savings Account (paid quarterly)
- Employee Referral Program including cash bonuses and paid time off
Volunteers of America, Utah provides community-supported paths for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance. Our Youth Resource Center is a refuge for youth ages 15-22 who have experienced extreme disconnect from positive adult role models and benefit greatly from the consistent support of healthy adults. Clients at the Youth Resource Center have access to case management, critical resources, every-day necessities, and support.
Youth Advocates interact with youth to create a safe, nurturing environment that offers stability, encourages self-sufficiency, and promotes independence. Successful Youth Advocates are non-judgmental, hold great boundaries with clients, manage multiple tasks well in what can be a fast-paced environment, ask for help when they need it, and understand how motivations and frustrations can affect people. Working at the Youth Resource Center provides great exposure to and opportunities for advancement in the field of social work, as well as the chance to learn from highly talented managers and supervisors.
- Interact with youth and provide them with information on community resources.
- Distribute basic need items and maintain an accurate record of services delivered.
- Resolve conflicts and crisis manage as necessary.
- Enforce the center guidelines for conduct.
- Complete rounds consistently to ensure clients are in appropriate areas
- Complete required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Cleaning and some meal preparation.
- Move tables, chairs, and sleeping cots.
- Paid or volunteer experience coaching, mentoring or interacting with young adults.
- Preferred: a degree in psychology, sociology, social work, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interact with homeless clients, regardless of age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.
- Basic knowledge of professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- High level of interpersonal communication skills.
- Exhibit perseverance and care when clients exhibit behaviors that contribute to continued homelessness.
- Ability to assist with moving cots, dividers, chairs, and tables within the shelter.
- For shifts that require driving and client transport: must be at least 21 years of age, possess a current driver's license, and be insurable on agency liability policy.
- Must pass Utah DHS - Office of Licensing background check.
Submit resume on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.