|Title:||Certified Peer Support Specialist - Paid|
|Department:||Center for Women and Children|
Peer Support Specialist
Schedule: Full time, days (Sun-Thurs or Tues-Sat - to be determined) with on-call rotation participation for after-hours support. Full-time employees are benefits-eligible!
Pay rate: $18/hr
Volunteers of America, Utah builds a community-supported bridge that provides a path for those who are vulnerable to improve their lives and increase their self-reliance. Opportunities for advancement are available.
This Peer Support Specialist works at the Center for Women and Children (CWC), a social model detoxification facility that provides a safe place to stay for women withdrawing from alcohol or drugs.
Our Peer Support Specialists link participants to recovery resources available in the program and externally. You will be able to provide groups and education on relapse prevention, SMART recovery, coping skills, and naloxone administration. Peer Support Specialists at the Center for Women and Children work closely with our case management team to coordinate services, complete recovery management plans with individuals, and assist in goal setting to help achieve success.
- Initiate contact with potential clients within the Detox facility.
- Educate clients about community resources, Medicated Assisted Treatment Resources, harm reduction practices etc.
- Facilitate weekly groups on SMART recovery, Seeking Safety, etc.
- Provide crisis intervention as necessary, and training on Naloxone administration.
- Work closely with clients’ case manager to coordinate assignments within scope of responsibility.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with 12 Step Group leaders, USARA and other service providers.
- Participate and present client information at case reviews with a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and follow his/her recommendations.
- Accurately record demographic information, individual meetings, and group attendance in database and monthly report.
- Submit all paperwork in a timely manner.
- Stay current on active recovery resources such as reputable sober living facilities and recovery meetings and activities.
Direct experience with homelessness, mental illness and/ or substance use and basic knowledge of community resources which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Utah Peer Support Specialist Certification.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with clients.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize Motivational Interviewing, Stages of Change and Trauma Informed Care.
- Ability to work with clients regardless of age, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and/or sexual orientation, etc.
- Ability to remain calm and respond appropriately in crises.
- Ability to independently plan, prioritize, and execute own work to ensure completion of daily tasks.
- Maintain client confidentiality as outlined in the training module on Confidentiality
- CPR and First Aid certification and all other trainings required by the program.
- Ability to drive company vehicle; possess a current driver’s license and have a good driving record.
- May be required to lift up to 50 Ibs. Work is generally performed in an office environment. Must sit for extended periods of time.
Full-time benefits include:
Low cost medical coverage (SelectHealth), with a Health Savings Accoun
Low cost dental and vision coverage
$50,000 life insurance coverage
Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
Retirement plan with employer match
Submit resume on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
Volunteers of America, Utah is committed to creating a diverse environment, where all people feel valued, have the opportunity to do their personal best and where leadership development is fostered. The organization is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, ethnicity, skin color, nationality, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental and developmental abilities, physical ability or religious belief. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.