|Title:||Employment Specialist - Paid|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|
Join a small team dedicated to assisting clients with mental illnesses in obtaining and maintaining competitive employment that is consistent with their vocational goals. Implement the Supported Employment Model. This position is based at Cornerstone Counseling Center.
Volunteers of America, Utah provides a bridge to self-reliance and health for vulnerable individuals and populations who struggle with homelessness, addiction and mental illness in our Wasatch Front communities. We are a non-profit agency with a $20 million budget and over 300 employees. We have operated in SLC for 33 years.
- Carry out all phases of employment service including assessments, setting employment goals with clients and their therapist, vocational counseling, job placements, job coaching, and continuous follow up support for clients.
- Establish face-to-face strategic relationships with local employers, and educate them on the supported employment program.
- Document employment services and demonstrate integration with mental health services; including attending staff meetings with mental health professionals and medical professionals.
- Identify barriers that hinder employability; assist clients in resolving and mitigating barriers to employment by identifying the need for other services or benefits; counsel clients regarding recommended solutions and suggested supportive services.
- Contact public and private employers in order to develop on the job training and/or direct job placement sites for clients.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. We are seeking someone who has a combination of education, experience, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- High school diploma or GED; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working with adults with severe mental illness, individuals struggling with substance abuse, criminal records, disabilities and other barriers to employment.
- Experience with case management, employment services and/or job placement, job training.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and counseling skills.
- Ability to engage outside of the office to create and maintain relationships with community employers.
- Ability to motivate clients and advocate for them with team members and employers.
- Outgoing, optimistic, and energetic personality as well as high empathy and compassion.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Computer skills including Microsoft office.
- Access to reliable transportation and the ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
Rate of Pay: $16 per hour
Submit resume on the career page of our website: www.voaut.org/careers
EOE / Veterans / Disabled